Article 25.55 Guidelines

Deadlines

October 16, 2017, and February 1, 2018

Objectives

Under the terms of Article 25.55 of the Fourteenth Collective Agreement, a sum of $150,000 shall be provided by the Board of Governors of Acadia University for the support of research in each academic year (1 July - 30 June).  This is known as the University Research Fund.

Guidelines for Applicants

One - (1) year and two (2) year awards may be made and the maximum amount of an award per project shall be $5000 and only one (1) award may be received in a given academic year. 

The one- (1) or two-(2) year period shall commence on the date of the letter of award notification.  An individual who has received an award for a two- (2) year project may not apply for funding again until the end of the two-(2) year cycle. An automatic one-(1) year extension of deadlines shall be granted.

TIP:  Unless you are certain that your study will require a full two years, it may be best to apply for a one-year award.  IF it then becomes apparent that you will require extra time, you can automatically extend your award for an extra year, as per Article 25.55(d).  This avoids the situation of receiving a two-year award, finishing early and then not being able to apply again until the two-year term has ended

The funds will be administered through the Office of Research and Graduate Studies which will appoint a committee to allocate the funds.  The committee consists of:

I.    The Dean of Research and Graduate Studies (Chair);
II.   Two members of each Faculty chosen from a pool of six members of each Faculty;
III.  One librarian chosen from the University librarians.

Please see Article 25.55 of the Fourteenth Collective Agreement for full details. Application forms are available on the Research and Graduate Studies website.

Key Points:

  • Hand written applications will not be accepted. Applications are to have a minimum 12-point type size.
  • It is important that you justify (not just describe) the budget clearly. Remember, if you are requesting travel funds to present a paper, please include a letter of acceptance and an abstract of the paper being presented.  
  • PLEASE NOTE: Article 25.55(g) states, "Applications must also include an updated curriculum vitae of the applicant." Please send a pdf of your current CV to barbara.baker@acadiau.ca
  • You must submit the original to the Dean of Research and Graduate Studies with an electronic copy to barbara.baker@acadiau.ca. The deadlines for submission each year are October 15 and February 1.   Decisions will be announced by November 15 and February 28 respectively.

TIP: Please remember that there may be no one on the Adjudication Committee who shares your expertise or even your disciplinary background.  Write for clarity and understanding throughout your application

Note: Please download the most recent version of the Application Form from the Research and Graduate Studies website, and follow the instructions carefully.

Suggested Pay Rates:

The current suggested pay rate for undergraduate students is $12/hour and $15/hour for graduate students.   These rates include 4% vacation pay ($11.54 + 4% = $12.00, $14.43 + 4% = $15.00).  On top of this, the research grant holder is required to cover 10% for the mandatory employer costs for EI and CPP, as well as 2% for WC coverage, for a total of 12%. This 12% is not included as part of an employee’s pay but shows up as deductions in the researcher’s general ledger (GL) account.

Please note that all pay rates are subject to change.

Employee

Base Rate

Including VP
(Gross pay rate employee receives)

Including CPP, EI, WCB (Pay rate to be charged to research account*)

Minimum Wage Employee

$10.60/hr

$11.02/hr

$12.34/hr

Suggested Undergraduate

$11.54/hr

$12.00/hr

$13.44/hr

Suggested Graduate

$14.43/hr

$15.00/hr

$16.80/hr

Other

$19.23/hr

$20.00/hr

$22.40/hr

Other

$24.04/hr

$25.00/hr

$28.00/hr

University practices and procedures must be followed at all times*. See the Travel Expense Claim Form for details.

*Note:  As per the 14th Collective Agreement, Tri-Council policy on eligible expenses shall apply to Article 25.55.  The rates shall be those established by the National Joint Council Travel Directive, Appendices B, C, and D. These can be accessed at:

www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/travel-voyage/index-eng.php.

 

 

 

 

SIG Guidelines

Objectives

SSHRC Institutional Grants are vital to the continuing ability of Acadia faculty to undertake primary research that can develop into SSHRC Standard Research Grant and other external grant applications. 

The purpose of this program is to assist Canadian universities to:

  • develop, increase or strengthen research excellence in the social sciences and humanities
  • assist researchers embarking on their research career
  • assist established researchers with modest funding requirements or those wishing to reorient and strengthen their research programs
  • support national and international dissemination and collaboration.

Guidelines for Applicants

Individuals may apply for a maximum of $3000. Funds received in this competition must be spent in the fiscal year in which they were awarded; i.e. your account must show a zero balance by March 30, 2018 (accounts are closed at the end of March and any outstanding balances will revert to the general account). SSHRC requires this office to submit a report on the research funded; therefore, a report on your research must be submitted to Research and Graduate Studies by the end of April 2018.

The competition is adjudicated by a committee drawn from a pool of faculty who are eligible to apply to SSHRC, and chaired by the Acting Dean of Research and Graduate Studies.

Application forms are available on the Research and Graduate Studies website. Please do not submit hand-written applications. Do not use typeface smaller than 12 font. It is important that you justify the budget clearly.  If you are requesting travel funds to present a paper, please include a letter of acceptance and an abstract of the paper being presented.  

You must submit one signed original and one electronic copy to the Research and Graduate Studies office c/o Barb BakerThe deadline for submission for 2017-2018 is Friday, May 26, 2017, at 4:30 pm.

Note: Please download the most recent version of the Application Form from the Research and Graduate Studies website, and follow the instructions carefully.

Suggested Pay Rates:

The current suggested pay rate for undergraduate students is $12/hour and $15/hour for graduate students.   These rates include 4% vacation pay ($11.54 + 4% = $12.00, $14.43 + 4% = $15.00).  On top of this, the research grant holder is required to cover 10% for the mandatory employer costs for EI and CPP, as well as 2% for WC coverage, for a total of 12%. This 12% is not included as part of an employee’s pay, but shows up as deductions in the researcher’s general ledger (GL) account.

Please note that all pay rates are subject to change.

Employee

Base Rate

Including VP
(Gross pay rate employee receives)

Including CPP, EI, WCB (Pay rate to be charged to research account*)

Minimum Wage Employee

$10.60/hr

$10.82/hr

$11.65/hr

Suggested Undergraduate

$11.54/hr

$12.00/hr

$13.44/hr

Suggested Graduate

$14.43/hr

$15.00/hr

$16.80/hr

Other

$19.23/hr

$20.00/hr

$22.40/hr

Other

$24.04/hr

$25.00/hr

$28.00/hr

University practices and procedures must be followed at all times*. See the Travel Expense Claim Form for details.